Just like your health, your family means a lot to you. However, your own experiences with weight and health may be very different from that of your family, so the way you approach these important topics may vary.
On the other hand, reaching and maintaining good health is a virtue that should not be overlooked. It increases the length and overall quality of life, giving us more time to spend with our loved ones doing the things we enjoy! But, when we practice health and wellness together, the benefits are even more amazing – and as someone who has already started on the journey with weight and health, you have the power to set the stage!
Modeling Wellness for Your Family
Why is investing time and energy into wellness as a family so important? Here’s what working toward a healthier future together can do:
- Establish an open line of communication
- Build trust, understanding and encouragement
- Improve self-esteem and general mood
- Lengthen the quality time you have to spend together
However, while the benefits of seeking improved health together may seem obvious, your loved ones may not feel the same way you do. But, by stepping up to the stage and modeling what the journey with weight and health can look like, you can show them how important it is!
Here are a few tips for getting started:
Establish Healthy Nutrition Habits
- Eat alongside each other, away from the television and other distractions
- Develop a shopping list together and take a group trip to the grocery store
- Share in the creation of new recipes
- Plant a produce garden with suggestions from each family member
Make Exercise a Time to Spend Together
- Go for group bike rides, hikes, walks and other outdoor activities
- Join a family sport or activity such as kickball, bowling or indoor rock climbing
- Create boundaries for time spent inside and using electronics
- Set up physical challenges that bring out everyone’s competitive spirit
Emphasize Regular Health Care
- Schedule routine appointments with your family’s primary care physician
- Share your knowledge about weight, health and wellness
- Talk to each other about your goals, concerns and challenges
Remember: these steps begin with YOU! When you participate in all of the above activities, you are showing your family that health is a priority in your life that can’t be moved. By committing to your own goals, your family can learn a lot from your actions.
Want more information about making health and wellness a part of your family’s values? CLICK HERE to read more.