About the OAC
The Obesity Action Coalition (OAC), proud founder of the Your Weight Matters Campaign, is a National non-profit organization dedicated to giving a voice to the individual affected by the disease of obesity and helping individuals along their journey toward better health through education, advocacy and support. Our core focuses are to raise awareness and improve access to the prevention and treatment of obesity, provide evidence-based education on obesity and its treatments, fight to eliminate weight bias and discrimination, elevate the conversation of weight and its impact on health and offer a community of support for the individual affected.
History of the OAC
During a meeting of legislators, a congressperson asked the question – “Who represents patients who are affected by obesity?” It was then that a legislator pointed out a serious need – a group whose only focus is on those affected by obesity. With this, the OAC was formed in 2005 with the goal of building a national coalition of those who are living with and/or affected by obesity.
OAC Vision Statement
It is the vision of the OAC to support, through education and advocacy, the creation of a society in which:
- All individuals are treated with respect and without discrimination or bias regardless of their size or weight;
- Those affected by the disease of obesity have the right to access safe and effective treatment options; and
- All individuals understand that when it comes to health, Your Weight Matters.
Mission of the OAC
The mission of the OAC is to elevate and empower those affected by obesity through:
Access a wealth of resources that provide quality education:
- Your Weight Matters Magazine
- OAC’s Online Library and Blogs
- Your Weight Matters Toolkit
- OAC Educational Brochures, Guides & E-Newsletters
- Annual Your Weight Matters Convention
With advocacy one of the pillars of our mission, OAC gives voice to individuals affected by the disease of obesity by providing opportunities to:
- Take action and get advocacy alerts through OAC’s Community Action Center
- Engage in educational outreach initiatives
Find support and foster a meaningful connection with PEOPLE LIKE YOU through community-focused and easy-access resources like:
- OAC Community
- OAC Obesity Care Provider Locator
To learn more about the OAC, please CLICK HERE.