Embracing Weight-loss Progress Over Perfection

Seeds growing in four different stages

Losing weight can be challenging, requiring lots of adjustments that can sometimes be frustrating, making you want to give up. But it’s important to remember that progress doesn’t equal perfection. Instead of trying to be perfect, it’s better to take small steps every day toward your goals. By focusing on progress instead of perfection, you can build habits that last and achieve long-term success in your weight-loss journey.

Shifting Away from Perfectionism

Perfectionism can lead to procrastination. Trying to be perfect in everything you do can cause you to put things off, including attempts at weight-loss. You may delay trying to lose weight because you feel like you’re not ready or good enough yet. But nobody’s ever totally perfect, and getting healthier is about learning and growing over time. Embrace progress by taking small steps each day, like picking healthier foods or going for a walk instead of watching TV.

Healthy Eating Isn’t Perfect Eating

When we think about eating healthy, we might imagine having a perfect diet with no slip-ups or cravings for unhealthy food. But the goal isn’t to be perfect with your meals; it’s about making progress and building healthier habits by making better food choices.

One strategy is to try is the 80/20 rule, which promotes balance, moderation and flexibility. This means eating nutritious foods 80% of the time and allowing yourself to enjoy treats the other 20%. It recognizes that nobody is perfect and that it’s okay to enjoy less healthy foods sometimes, as long as most of the time you’re making healthier choices. This approach fosters a positive relationship with food, removes the guilt associated with “cheating,” and still helps you reach your weight-loss goals.

Perfectionism Can Lead to Overtraining and Injuries

Trying to get your ideal body quickly might result in overexercising, leading to injuries and feeling tired of it all. Progress means listening to your body, taking enough breaks in between workouts for rest and recovery, and having a workout plan you can keep up with long-term. Jumping into an intense workout plan when you haven’t been active can lead to more injuries and feeling burnt out. Instead, start with easy activities like walking or swimming, then slowly make your workouts longer and harder as your body gets used to it.

Celebrate Progress, No Matter How Small

Rapid weight-loss isn’t always the best approach, and focusing on unrealistic goals can cause you to overlook small but significant steps of progress. Celebrate your small victories along the way, like sticking to your workout plan for a week or cutting back on unhealthy snacks. This can help you stay encouraged and motivated along your weight-loss journey.

Embrace a Growth Mindset

Shifting your mindset to focus on growth can help you avoid the problems of trying to be perfect and make losing weight more positive. Instead of aiming for perfection, think about learning from mistakes and challenges. Seeing problems as chances to learn and grow instead of failures can change how you feel about the whole journey.

Choosing progress over perfection can be challenging, especially if you have a history of chasing perfection. But “perfect” isn’t possible or sustainable. Focusing on progress lets you go at your own pace, learn from mistakes and celebrate small victories. Remember, getting healthier is different for everyone, and progress is a crucial part of the journey.

Learn. Connect. Engage.

learn, connect, engage icons

Gain the tools you need to succeed in your health journey. Join the OAC Community at NO COST and get access to: Valuable Education – Ongoing Support – Meaningful Connections – Much More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *