If you’re like many people, the idea of grocery shopping can seem daunting – especially if you’re practicing healthy nutrition habits. In fact, arriving at the store can even be overwhelming at times. If you’re in a hurry, or you’ve come unprepared, it can be difficult to shop for and purchase foods that are beneficial to your weight management plan.
However, changing the way you think about the grocery store can also change the way you approach nutrition. By having a strategy when you shop and filling your cart up with the right foods, you’re providing your body the nutrition that it needs to stay healthy and strong!
Mastering the Grocery Store: Have a Plan in Place
Every successful shopping trip requires a plan before you walk in the door. Having a plan in place can help you save time, save money, and walk out with healthy food items. Not sure where to start? Consider these tips:
- Build a Running Grocery List: Have you and/or your family add to a grocery list all week long or until you’re ready to shop. Keep the list in a place that’s accessible to everyone such as on the refrigerator. When someone mentions a new recipe they want to try, or any food items they want to get, a running grocery list can ensure you purchase everything you’ve planned.
- Don’t Forget to Coupon: Finding the deals are not only a great way to save money, but they’re a great way to plan your meals! Many people base their meal plans on sales at their local grocery stores. For example – if chicken breasts are on sale one week, you can purchase chicken to freeze for future use or for recipes you’re making later on that week.
- Prepare Yourself for the Trip: Wear comfy shoes, allow yourself ample time to shop, and don’t go to the story hungry!
While You’re at the Grocery Store…
We’ll be honest – there’s a lot to remember when you walk into the grocery store, so it’s important to enter with a few things in mind:
- Shop the Perimeter – Typically, you’ll find your healthy basics around the perimeter of the grocery store (i.e. produce, meats, whole grains and low-fat dairy).
- Buy in Bulk – Do you consume a lot of a certain food? Are there many mouths to feed? Buying in bulk can save you money – especially if you’re buying what’s on sale.
- Your List is Your Friend – It’s easy to face temptation when you’re surrounded by many different foods. Sticking to your list can help you focus and stay on the healthy (and cheaper!) track.
- Check Your Labels – Reading your food labels will help you make wise and healthy consumer choices. Pay attention to the specific ingredients, calories, serving sizes, levels of sugar and sodium, saturated and unsaturated fats, etc. It pays to pay attention!
- Come with a Plan – If you didn’t add them to your list, be sure to plan for emergency meals/snacks so you don’t get sidetracked by unhealthy food options when you’re hungry or pressed for time.
Want More Information about Making the Best Out of Your Grocery Store Run?
For more information about navigating the grocery store and making healthy choices for your weight management plan, you can read the full article from Your Weight Matters Magazine by CLICKING HERE.