Staying healthy on vacation can be challenging when you’re away from your normal routine. When you hop in the car for a road trip or book your next flight, how do make sure you keep up with your health and wellness goals?
With a little planning, having a healthy vacation is totally possible, and you’ll feel better for it! Before you leave for your next getaway, spend a few minutes making sure you are prepped and ready to go.
Eating Healthy on Vacation
Vacations don’t have to equal a food free-for-all. Many times, meal plans go out the window when you leave your home, but a few simple strategies can help you eat nutritiously. Although your plan will look different while on vacation, there are ways to stay on track.
- Do Your Research – It’s important to find restaurants with a variety of options. Research places close to where you are staying so healthy food is easily accessible. A breakfast cafe that serves eggs and fruit may be just around the corner from the donut shop!
- Be Flexible – Your plan may not look the same as it does at home, and that’s okay. Make choices that are best for you in your current surroundings. For instance, balance out a burger entree at dinner by subbing fries for a side salad. If you’re planning on having dessert, opt for a lower calorie dinner such as chicken and asparagus.
- Pack Your Own Options – Bring a few go-to food items with you on vacation. Fresh fruits, nuts, bottled water and whole grain crackers can all be easily packed, and they’re a great alternative to what you might pick up at a gas station on the road. Even consider packing a few easy meals. Oatmeal, peanut butter and fruit can make a great portable breakfast.
- Be Choosy – There are a lot of extras available on vacation. When it comes to sweets, treats and alcohol, allow yourself some of these items, but set limits and choose them in moderation. Eat some of your favorites, but leave some behind as well for optimal balance.
- Add Nutrition in – Instead of thinking about what you can’t have, consider all the things that you can! Adding fresh fish to your dinner is a great way to pack in extra proteins and omega 3s. Getting local produce from a farmer’s market can help you try new things while saving money and eating fresh.
Stay Active While Away
Your fitness plan doesn’t have to go out the window while on vacation. It might be a little different than what you are used to, but flexibility is often key to maintaining healthy habits.
- Check Out the Hotel Gym – You may be surprised. Some hotels have gyms with an impressive variety of fitness options, sometimes even more than what you might have at home. Take advantage of what’s available to you and try something new.
- Bring Your Own Gear – If you aren’t sure what exercise options will be available at the place you are staying, you can easily add a yoga mat, a set of dumbbells and a resistance band to your trunk or back seat. Combine these items with a YouTube exercise video tutorial, and you’re all set!
- Think Outside the Box – What are new ways you can squeeze in exercise while on vacation? A brisk walk on the beach can be a great place to start. Hiking in the mountains is a great workout. Find a pickle ball court for some quick activity. There are multiple ways to incorporate movement into your vacation while on-the-go.
Above all, enjoy your break and use this time to relax so you can return home feeling refreshed. Time away from your normal routine can do wonders for both your physical and mental health.
Want more tips for planning a healthy vacation? Check out this past YWM blog post: Healthy Travel Tips for Year-end Holiday Vacations.