As the weather cools down in the fall months, we start to crave foods that are warm and comforting. Unfortunately, most popular comfort foods are packed full of excess sugar, carbs and unhealthy fats. But fear not! There are plenty of ways to satisfy your fall food cravings without sacrificing your health goals.
In this post, we’ll explore 10 delicious and nutritious fall snack ideas that are low in sugar, high in protein and high in fiber. Best of all, these snacks are made with fresh fall produce, so you can enjoy the flavors of the season while staying on track with your healthy lifestyle.
Fall-inspired Healthy Snack Ideas
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Roasting fresh pumpkin seeds with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt makes for a delicious and satisfying snack. Pumpkin seeds are high in protein and healthy fats, and they also contain magnesium, potassium and zinc.
- Apple Slices with Nut Butter: Apples are a classic fall fruit that pair perfectly with nut butter for a satisfying snack. Choose a high-quality nut butter that’s low in sugar and slice up a fresh apple for a sweet and crunchy treat.
- Roasted Butternut Squash: Butternut squash is another fall favorite that is packed with fiber, potassium, and vitamins A and C. Roast it with a little bit of olive oil and your favorite seasonings for a cozy and nutritious snack.
- Sweet Potato Toast: Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, vitamin A, and are lower on the glycemic index than regular potatoes. Simply slice a sweet potato into thin rounds, then toast them in the oven, air fryer or toaster. When done, top them with your favorite spreads such as avocado, hummus or nut butter.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Brussels sprouts may not be everyone’s favorite vegetable, but when roasted with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt, they become a crave-worthy and nutritious snack. Brussels sprouts are packed with fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants, making them a perfect choice for fall.
- Spiced Popcorn: Popcorn is a fun, low-calorie snack that you can completely transform with the help of a few spices. Try adding cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder or paprika to your popcorn for a flavorful and satisfying snack.
- Baked Apples: Baked apples are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without overdoing it on sugar. Core an apple, fill it with some cinnamon and a little bit of honey, and bake it in the oven until it’s soft and tender.
- Carrot Hummus: Hummus is creamy and full of protein, but traditional hummus can also be high in calories and fat. Try making a carrot hummus alternative by blending together carrots, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and a little bit of salt. Serve with veggie sticks and you have a healthy and delicious crunchy treat!
- Roasted Chestnuts: Chestnuts are a beloved and traditional fall treat that is often enjoyed by the fire. But that doesn’t mean you need a fireplace to enjoy them! Simply roast chestnuts in the oven until they’re soft and tender, then enjoy their nutty and delicious flavor.
- Cinnamon Roasted Almonds: Almonds are great sources of protein, healthy fats and fiber. They are even better when roasted with a little bit of cinnamon and coconut oil.
Fall is a uniquely wonderful time of year for many reasons, one of them being the abundance of delicious produce that comes into season. Whether you’re craving something sweet or savory, there are plenty of options to choose from that are low in sugar, high in protein and high in fiber. Consider incorporating some of these delicious and nutritious snack ideas into your rotation this fall to help you stay on track with your health goals.